Tuesday, December 1, 2015

HAUTE MUSIC: "Exposure" by Will Blaze

" I gave you love but you took my life.  Now I avenge myself because you fell in love with someone else."
~Will Blaze



Artist: Will Blaze
City: Cleveland
Skill:  SANGIN


I stumbled across Will Blaze in February of 2014 when I was performing at an event in Cleveland (shout out to SheSpeaks Purpose) I remember watching his set thinking that he was very creative and that he had an amazing voice.  What I didn't know was that I would be doing a write on him nearly two years later.  That's the thing about this industry.  The connections are very unpredictable.

So here we at the end of  2015 and I'm blasting this album....on repeat.   "Exposure" is 15 track LP and it is FANTASTIC.  I ran through just about every emotion listening to this album.  Love and Lust were at the  top of the feeling list. I ALMOST made a phone call but a sista has work to do.   

EACH track was written by Will Blaze (Dope right?) with production by Jemel "Burner" Rankins (additional production by Kenn Bell)I don't think I really need to get into how dope it is for an artist to write there entire project.  I have an affinity for songwriters. Songwriters are my peeps. 

One more word about this album: HARMONIES


"Exposure" boasts a track listing of 15 songs.  If I had to describe the album in one word it would be "SOULFUL".  This is some DOPE R&B/Soul ya'll.  Will's vocals are beautiful, his writing is relatable and captivating.  Oh and he hits this bottom note that is superb.   I was trying to narrow down one favorite but it's impossible.  I have many favorites but I'll give you two to work with.

1. Give It To You



2. Never Good Enough



**Qamil Note:  I was excited to see one of my favorite artists featured on the album.  Heeeyyyy Sam Goodi! Haha If you haven't heard of that dude you better get hip. **


Now for a little Q & A with WILL BLAZE!




Q.  What does Will Blaze bring to the R&B table?

A.  Will Blaze is an artist that wants to make love cool again. In a world where partying, swag, and status reign supreme, I long for the days where positivity, truth, and love were in the forefront of the arts. So, my plan is to shine light on real situations, emotions, and thoughts that are not as popular to discuss, but just as prominent and valid. Ultimately, to rekindle the creative perspective we once utilized to progress the art and the people it affected.


Q.  How would you describe your style as an artist?


A.  In a word, soulful. My voice was cultivated in a time where the best singers were the ones with conviction. Ones who would project the feeling of that song to you in a way you have no choice but to emote similar feelings, even if you have not personally felt those feelings. In a vocal performance, that's my ultimate desire. As a writer, I try to come from as realistic and honest of a place as possible. I take situations and imagine how I would feel in them, and put it on paper, in hopes you can relate to those feelings.


Q.  Who are some of the artists that influenced or inspired you to do music the most?

A. Sheesh, there are so many to name! I am constantly studying new and old artist, and trying to gain as much perspective from them. What initiated my desire to sing was the church and artist like John P Kee, Kirk Franklin, Kim Burrell, etc. What developed my desire to write and become a voice for people would have to be Stevie Wonder, overall. As I've gotten older, my style has progressed and added other elements to it. I would say Bilal is another direct influence for me now. Hip-Hop has influenced me a great deal also....again there's just too much to name! I'm a big mashup of everything I listen too.


Q.   Describe “Exposure” in 5 words or less.
A.  The cycle of young love

Q.  If you could only listen to ONE song on “Exposure” on repeat for a week which song would it be?

A. Probably "Hooked On U"




Q.  If you could have a dinner party and discuss music with 5 R&B/Soul artist (dead or alive) who would be at that table?

A.  
1) Marvin Gaye
2) Stevie Wonder
3) Whitney Houston
4) Prince 
5) MJ



 

Q. What is your favorite R&B album of all time?
A. Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key of Life

Q. If you could do a duet with one artist who would that be?
A. Jazmine Sullivan......but you spelled "Do it" wrong HAHAHAHA (kidding, don't want wifey to kill me! ;-)

***Qamil Note:  Hahahahahahaahahah**


 Q. Your album has a lot of sexy going on.  What is the absolute sexiest thing about a woman to you?


A. It's a tie between Confidence and a healthy relationship with God..........but if I'm being shallow, hips, legs and pretty feet :-P

Q. What is your absolute favorite song to sing live? 
A. Probably my arrangement of Rock With You by MJ


LEAD SINGLE- "New Shoes"




Q.  If you could go on a world tour right now, what other artist would you want to take with you? 
A. I have 2 answers. Jazmine Sullivan if I'm searching for an artist to complement my sound/style, Chris Brown for a real serious learning experience/Boot Camp....and for the Turn Up lol


Q. Tell me something about yourself that would surprise people.

A. I am really, really, REALLY shy and don't always think very highly of myself.



Q. Favorite color? 

A. Purple



Q. Favorite movie?

A. I don't have just one! Paid in Full, Malcolm X, StepBrothers, Inception, Scott Pilgrim VS The World,Boyz In The Hood, and The Incredibles to name a few



Q.    What is your ultimate goal as an artist?
A. Other than making a lucrative career for my family, I want to change the perspective of the game.  I want real feelings, emotions and positivity to position themselves back in the forefront of our arts.
 


WILL BLAZE LIVE!

 "New Shoes" 





"Sweet Love" ft. Nefertiti Avani




Q.   Where can people find you? (Social media)
A. @hewillblaze - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Google + (do ppl even use that? lol)



NOW GO FIND A BROTHA! Buy his album and show him some #LOVE 
Tell him that Qamil sent ya:)  

~Qamil



  

1 comment:

  1. Q you are indeed SoulDope! Thanks for being a fan first like we should all be if we really love this art we are in! This is so big and I'm extremely appreciative

    ReplyDelete