Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Lines & Stanzas with Miss Blonde Curls: Q&A with Tripp Fontane

"I'm just a chip off the old tooth my daddy knocked out of my mama's mouth....." 


Tripp Fontane is a Dayton, OH native blazing the poetry scene for the past several years.  He is heavily affiliated with Dayton's own and growing  poetry crew Metaphorically Speaking which caters not only to the adult poetry lover, but also poetry performers and slammers of tomorrow.  Tripp's poetry along with the Metaphorically Speaking brand has extended its arms throughout Ohio and is bulldozing its way through the Midwest.  


Q&A


Q.  What city are you from? Where do you live now? 
A.  I'm from and currently reside in the lovely Dayton, Ohio!

Q. How long have you been writing/performing poetry? 
A.  I've been writing poetry since I was like 10 I believe. I didn't start performing or writing seriously until 2009-2010.

Q.  What made you start writing poetry? How old were you? 
A.  I started taking poetry seriously because no one would listen to my music lol. At the time lyrics and messages still didn't matter. I was about 19 when I decided to just do my songs with no music and say I did poetry. 

Q.  What type or style of poetry do you write the best? Worst? 
A.  I love writing persona pieces. Fully taking on the character in the poem makes it extremely fun to perform! I suck at writing love poetry though lol. Well happy love poems anyway. I don't really have enough experience in that field. 

Q.  Which poet(s) do you idolize or emulate? 
A. Honestly, I try to learn from everyone I come across! There's always room to get better so I'm constantly studying those around me. Theon Lee is definitely one of my favorites though. My G is NICE!



 
Q.  Do you get stage fright? 
A.  I get stage fright every single time I perform lol. I was taught that it was a good thing though.  It means I still have respect for the craft and the audience.

Q.  Why do you think poetry isn't more main stream? 
A.  I could go on all day as to why poetry isn't mainstream. Art, in general, just isn't as highly valued as it once was. I also think English class gives the worst first impression to poetry ever lmao.

Q.  How would you fix this? 
A.  I don't think I would fix it. Not yet. Spoken Word is still somewhat pure. The higher up you get in most industries the less people care about the art. It's about a marketable product and a paycheck. If Spoken Word is to be taken mainstream it should be by people of the culture so there's a healthy understanding of how things work.

Q.  How long have you been rocking with Metaphorically Speaking?  
A.  I've pretty much been with MS since day one. I got invited to judge the slam from the third show and I've been rocking with them ever since. This is our 3rd year.

Q.  As a poetry clique or group what would you like to do in your community and where would you  like to see yourself and the group go? 
A. We've kinda set the company up into three different branches that way we can effectively expand on all fronts. As far as the community goes I'd like to see us become a safe haven for the youth and other artists.  I'd like to also see the brand become a powerhouse in the Midwest.

"When ya'll fucking he just pull out and leave residue on your belly, baby, maybe you should ab...stain."


Q.  Have you ever used poetry for evil?
A.  I don't think I have lol. I wouldn't exactly say I'm a good guy but I would never use my gift for actual evil.

Q.  What is the best thing about poetry for you?  
A.  To me the best thing about poetry is discovering that space for expression. Whatever you're going through, you can create something special from it via poetry. 

Q.  What is the most difficult thing about poetry to you?  What is the easiest?  
A.  The hardest thing about poetry? Hmmm... It takes me FOREVER to finish and memorize my pieces sometimes lol. I have unfinished poems from years ago. I honestly haven't found anything easy about this whole being a poet thing lol.

Q.  How do you keep your gift giving to others? 
A.  A few members from the team teach slam poetry and creative writing workshops for children! It's pretty dope watching these young writers come into their own as artists!




Q.  Are you married?
A.  Not at all lol. I'm very much single. I don't see myself getting married any time soon.

Q.  Do you have kids? 
A.  Noooooooo! I would love to have a few little Fontanes running around but not until I'm ready.

Q.  Any secret talents?

A..I'm a pretty decent music producer. That's not really a secret I just don't ever tell people lol.

Q.  What turns you off? 
A.  One of my biggest turn offs is someone unwilling to learn new things. Voluntary ignorance if you will.

Q.  What turns you on? 

A.  I'm turned on by a woman that can make me laugh as well as a woman I can learn from!

Q. Tell me something about yourself that would surprise people. 
A. Ummm...  I've never broken up with any of my exes. I'm always the one that gets dumped.


Q.  Have you ever considered quitting? 

A.  I've considered quitting poetry quite a few times lol. Only reason I'm still at it is because I know the impact the movement can and will have is way bigger than my own plans.

Q. What advice do you have for aspiring writers and poets? 

A. I urge every writer and poet to study the craft as much as possible. Find any possible open mics and practice! And network your tail off! Always follow through! If you say you're gonna call another poet or hit an open mic then do it!



Q. What's next for you? Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years? 

 A. I'm currently working on my next musical project which I plan on having finished come February! I'm also working on a book about my experiences with love. I'm taking my time on that though lol. I'm also going to be getting involved in the slam poetry scene as well! 

 ~

 Connect with Miss Blondecurls 
 Twitter- @missblondecurls Facebook- Miss Blondecurls
Instagram- @missblondecurls

No comments:

Post a Comment