Wednesday, December 16, 2015

#SoulDopeSunday Spotlight- Ebri Yahloe

The lights are low.  The stage colors flash from blue to green to red to white.  There is music...LIVE music.  There is poetry. There is comedy.  There is ART.   ART comes ALIVE here. Art is a living breathing entity inside of these walls. Ten performers take turns sharing their gifts and giving their all.  They came to express themselves and to possibly be the one to take home the crown as the #SOULDOPESUNDAY open mic champ for the month.   There can only be one. 
~Qamil

DECEMBER 2015  

Location: Scarlet & Grey Cafe (Columbus, OH)
Open Mic Winner: Ebri Yahlo
Skill:  Hip Hop
Interviewed by:  Tiffany Mariie alia "The Poemcee"  



Q. Many people know you by Kayla Kay. Why the name change and what is it symbolic of? What does Ebri Yahloe mean?

A.  The back story behind Ebri Yahloe goes like this, I  was about 14-16 and I'd get my hair done in twists and often all the shorites would come trynna touch it saying things like "owe yo hair is cute. Is you mixed?" *hood rat voice*  The first thing that came to mind/out my mouth is "Yeah I'm Somalian"  lol. So for years, I was saying that and a girl busted me out like "Michaela ain't no Somalian name".  I had to think quick. Ebri Yahloe was the first thing that came to mind. It stems from a West African language called Fulani Ibou. Also, a young man friend of mine (e-boo),  he was a prophet in the Koran  and the word Diallo Is also a west African word. They don't really have "meanings" like American names do. I put them together mixed up the spelling. I search and searched the internet to make sure I wasn't stealing someone's name and to also make sure it wasn't something I've seen before that was just looming in my subconscious. I found nothing but the same pronunciations and different spellings. The coolest thing was that the manes I found with the same pronunciations described me to a T.  It had no real meaning so I made it mean "In Gods long journey". It kinda felt like divine intervention be the ibou prophet was most def  "in Gods long journey". I JUST learned about Ibou the prophet. tWhen I read this question I went and asked about his name. it also symbolizes growth. It's grown and sexy.  Kayla Kay is "cute" lol 
 
Q. Where did your passion for music come from?

A. My passion come from the music/writing itself. It's the only thing that keeps me sane. I don't do any drugs or drink so it's like music is the high. It's the "it" for me. It's my air. I can't stop breathing and it's the only thing that I can say "stayed".  I use to like basketball but that was only to receive love/bond with my dad because that's what he likes. That didn't stay (the love and bonding) so I stopped.  I've only been "in love" once and it was puppy love. That didn't stay.  Friendships didn't stay. I've always hated school. I finished HS and got kicked out of college. That didn't stay. Music/writing never left.

Q. Who have been some of your musical influences? 

A. Ahhh yes!! I couldn't wait to get to this question. First and foremost, James Brown! Johnny Guitar Watson (the original gangster of love), Ja rule and Nelly had a BIG impact on my life. I have a lil car engine rumble in my voice... not really a hard core muscle car like Mr DMX... but MOST definately a lil sports car with some power or better yet a chevy (:  I get on a smooth vibe often. I get that from early Nelly "Welcome to Nellyvile" *nelly voice* lol. A lil history about me, not a lot of people know about me is that  Erykah Badu is my real mom and Big Boi is my real dad. So I be on some conscious pimp shit! and we all know mom had a baby with Uncle 3k ( We don't talk bout that much) so he helped raise me too. As far as new school, of course J.Cole, Chance the Rapper, Raury and Big Krit. Q. How long have you been doing music?

A. I've been kinda "doing" music my whole life. It's how I learned my ABC'S. My mom would beat box and I'd rap em. My step father is also a rapper. He use to take me with him to studio sessions. I can still remember the first time he let me spit something lol. As far as performing/ recording, I was in a rap group called Pure Gold. I was 13 in 8th grade. We were apart of the S.A.V.E awards (Strategies Against Violence Everywhere) at the southern theater in downtown Columbus, OH. It was sold out so it was well over 2k people there. We ended up taking home the award for most positive lyrics but that wasn't was the crowd not the fact that they were praising us but fact that some words I wrote had that much power to get that reaction. Later that night I caught a news clip of our performance. It was so rewarding. That was the night I fell in love and knew that I'd do this forever.

Q. In 2013 you won Best Female Artist at the Ohio Hip Hop Awards how was the overall experience and how has it effected you as an artist if at all?

A. OHHA was a very interesting yet critical point in my life. I was working on my first album (The Declaration). I was 18, hungry, vulnerable, under tons of pressure and unhappy. Metaphorically speaking, I was being pimped in the name of "God" unknowing yet willingly.  To sum it up, I was a slave. That's just to give you an idea of the uncomfortable space I was in mentally and physically at this time. Winning the award is most definitely a staple and was slight booster for my confidence. I say that because I was the new face in the local music industry as far as club / bar shows (adult shows). I had JUST gotten old enough to even be allowed to pass the door. Being new to that world I was up against a vet, the beautiful Ms. Diggy Dulche and there was a rumor that one of the other ladies was Yo Gotti's first lady.  So I'm like damn man I've always been confident. I'm NY flow but I'm thinking SHIT Diggy got clout and she got MF Yo Gotti. It was also cool because I did the grass roots campaign all alone. My team didn't help me get votes. I actually didn't even know I was nominated. A good friend called me and told me I was nominated for two awards, best live performance and best female. That was a shock. At the award show the announcer guy said "and the award for best female goes to..." Diggy's team in the back GOING NUTS like "Diggyyyyyyy Diggyyyyy!!!"  He said "Kayla Kay". I was happy but God must have already told me without me realizing because I had already written my acceptance speech.  Q. One thing I’ve noticed that you mention often is the “free zone” tell me what that means to you?

A. Zoooooone!!!! The Free Zone F/Z  takes on a few meanings.  It is a collective of solo artist also a band. Yes a music band but also a band (rubber band)...something that holds things together. The Free Zone is a place you enter as where it's not even YOU anymore.  As a rapper, it's the place I go to when I'm free styling and everything I say is ON and I don't even know what I'm saying but every one who is still here on earth is loving it! It can even be sexual... just that place you go where you loose control but you're killin it lol. We don't go to that place.  We ARE that place and most importantly to me, its a mind set! Anyone can be a part of the free zone. Freedom is in the mind now as is slavery. Free ya self. Know thy self!
Q. Everybody has something that pushes them what is your driving force?

A. My diving force is to do God's Work and take care of my family.   Q. You have a dynamic stage presence. Do you get nervous before a performance? Do you have any pre performance rituals?

A. Thank you. Ok so this is super personal lol but I don't care,  I'm free.  If I get the bgss RIGHT  RIGHT before it's time to perform it's going to be a great show. I have a prayer. I pray. I meditate and when I'm on stage I try to be as open as possible for the spirits and the higher power to work through me to touch whoever needs it at that time. It's like a type of meditation, a deep focus. So whatever I have to do to wake up the spirits, I do it.  Jump. Twist. Shout. I have to snatch them up sometimes and call them out because they like to play but once I get em it's on.  I just listen to the higher power within.  Anything other then that makes me feel less then like I let God down.
Q. When people see Ebri Yahloe perform or when they press play what do you want people to take away?


A. I want people to feel God, hear God, See God. 


Q. What do you feel like distinguishes you from other artist.

A. What distinguishes me from others is that i KNOW I AINT SHIT!! I'm NOTHING. I'm nothing and everything at the same time...meaning yes I am made in Her image BUT I am not Her ... Or maybe I am Her.  I hear/see a ton of artists say, "I'll lyrically kill you. My bars are this. My flow is that" others say, "I get bitches. I get money" some keep it real and say, "I'm broke ass hell".  It's always i ... i ...i.... my ... me... I'm so turned off by it like STFU NIGGA.  Say something else you lil bitch! TEACH US  SOMETHING. TEACH THESE MF KIDS YOU WANT TO BUY YOUR MUSIC SOMETHING! It don't have to be like school. Make it "cool" but you don't cause you don't know shit cause you to busy writing raps bout you. We know, we get it, you're the best.  You said that shit 30 times 30 Different ways. You're the best at being YOU. Duh most of us are the best at being ourselves. What's next? What else you got?  If you DO actually have knowledge and you're not sharing it you're just as fucked up and the few MFs  that govern this filthy ass nation. Knowledge is supposed  to be passed on! People wanna hold,  hoard and hide it like it ain't free and even if some sick men made u pay for it, why would you continue to pimp it dumb ass?! Don't get me wrong, I have songs about I too. We all do but not a whole library. If it maybe when i was 16 and even then I had other shit.  I have a saying "When I die, don't sing the songs I wrote for me. Sing the sings I wrote for God." The last thing is idgaf about money, groupies, "things", any of it. Every day, I'm disconnecting more and more. I think when I finally start getting some serious income from music, I'm going to buy an island, get my family out of here, be homeless, give my money away to people who think they need it and just tour all around on different endeavors. Nothing will change because I'm homeless now. This earth is not my home. This body is the host for now until God needs her spirit back to lend out again. I'm not even a human.  My understandings of life are different from most artist I meet.

Q. Are there any artist you would like to work with in the city?

A. YES!! Tiffany Mariie! :)  I want more songs with Lav the evil MC. I'd like to do music with Hafrican, Lyrikal Goddess and the whole D4W. The list Goes on and on and on and on and on some more. Columbus is cool to me and we have so many great gifted people.  If I keep going this paragraph is going to be longer the the other ones lol  
Q. What is your end game? Like the ultimate stamp of success for you? 


A. I don't really have an end game. It never really ends for me. I would say I'm the most successful every time I can get a person to ask new questions to question things they've been taught to dry their brain from the "wash", to ask how and why instead of just taking what ever is given, as WHY the bible has the father the son and the holy spirit and no mom. Ask if homosexually is so wrong how come the bible seems to be written by woman haters suppressing gay feelings. Think about it European and arb are the only two who have completely vanished women or have them on the lowest leaving what? All men. Sounds a lil gay to me. Why not put woman the most high? She GIVES life. Without her it's over. Ask why in every one there's a certain cell that can only be passed by a Black woman traced back to ONE woman in Africa.  I just want people to ask shit make people uncomfortable "growing pains" aint just some saying. 

Q. Where can people find you online?



A. Twitter- Ebri_yahloe
soundcloud Ebri yahloe 




Catch Ebri Yahloe performing LIVE as our feature act at #SOULDOPESUNDAY on January 3rd.  For more info on the show or how you can perform, like the event page on Facebook www.facebook.com/SoulDopeSunday
~

  
 Connect with TIFFANY MARIIE

Instagram- @Iamtiffanymariie

Editor- Qamil Wright

2 comments:

  1. I just got enlightenment and motivation in 10minutes!!! Thank you Ebri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got enlightenment and motivation in 10minutes!!! Thank you Ebri

    ReplyDelete